Monday, June 18, 2007

Sandra Thomas

Last week Sandra Thomas ended a long battle with cancer. I grew up with Sandra and we went to school together for 10 years. I have had the privilege of praying for her from afar over the past few years. If I were to be honest I'd let you know that I did not know Sandra all that well, but her life and her death have affected me in ways I did not expect.

Friday after work I received an email from Courtney letting me know that Sandra passed away. As a surprise to myself I could not stop crying. I think part of it was the reality of knowing someone my age who died. But mostly it was having been a witness to the amazing peace and surrender she demonstrated during her sickness. I would receive occasional mass emails from her asking people to pray. Her love for Christ, her joy even while suffering, and her commitment to making God known and to bring Him glory humbled me and gave me a deep respect for Sandra. I cried mostly because she was finally with God. I can't imagine the joy of God as He welcomed Sandra home and she could finally be with Him. The battle is over and she can rest.

These are a few of the words from the email I received:

Mark called and Sandra's mom told him that she went to be with her Lord at 11:45 A.M. today. A family friend was sitting with her and had whispered in her ear, "Sandra, the Lord is calling you." Shortly after those words, Sandra opened her eyes very wide and she died. Now she is healed completely and face to face with her Jesus. I know she is also embracing her father who she loved so dearly.

The last time I saw her was at my church in Texas three years ago. She had just started her fight. Even then her peace and wisdom left me speechless. I know the impact of her life has only just begun.

You can go here and here to read more of her story from a couple of her good friends.

2 comments:

Beck said...

Katy, I've been praying for her for so long. I sat at my desk and wept for about 30 minutes. Right before I read the email that she had passed away, I had read a prayer request for her saying, "Sandra asked to put on her father's boxing gloves (who also died of cancer) and her ballerina slippers. She was still fighting, but ready to dance."

I have never felt so humbled by simply reading someone's prayer requests. I'm hurting for everyone near and dear to her.

Beck said...

I just read one of the other posts on this - and probably mixed up the boxing gloves story. I just know that it was the week that she passed away that she didn't get into the trial study she had wanted to be a part of. I love that idea of putting down the boxing gloves.