Thursday, June 21, 2007

Summer Solstice

It's another amazing day in Chicago. That's three in a row! Three glorious days that I spent sitting at my cube and wishing I was outside. But that's okay. I have three fabulous days of fly-fishing ahead of me!

Today is the longest day of the year. I love the sun. Sunlight brings me so much joy. I think that's why I like being outside so much. So today should be my favorite day of the year. But my spirits are dampened a bit when I realize that from now on the days are just going to get shorter and shorter. That thought depresses me. So maybe today is the quentessential bitter sweet day.

Today I met five men who reminded me of the guys from Return to Me. I love that movie. The old men are one of the reasons I love it so much. I stood on a corner waiting for a taxi and they were sitting in their lawn chairs talking the day away. I think I was a welcome distraction. Three of them were happy to help me flag down a taxi. We were there for around 10 minutes waiting and watching. I asked them why they were all gathered at the corner. One said, "Oh, we're just a dirty old mens club." Another one said, "Emphasis on the OLD. The youngest one in the group is 70 years old." I responded with "Haven't you heard? 70 is the new 30." They really were too cute. Dirty old men over the age of 70 are cute. Dirty old men any younger than that are just creepy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I watched Return to me last week. I LOVE that movie. I wish I could have met those men! You should get a pic of them sometime.