Saturday, January 21, 2006

Mishaps


All yesterday I kept thinking that I couldn't wait to get home and clean out my closet. I think the Oreck has really done something to me. Suddenly I want to clean EVERYTHING! I went to Happy Hour with the girls and drank two of Adobos famous Margaritas. That was one too many. Jessie and I took a taxi home because it began sleeting and neither of us remembered an umbrella. We set to work immediately!

I don't like to let go of things; especially clothes. I feel guilty for saying goodbye to them; like I didn't appreciate them anymore. And I also wonder, "what if" or "just in case." The good thing is that I found some lost articles of clothing just by removing boxes from the bottom of my closet. I used the smaller Oreck and attachments to suck up all the dust bunnies that have been growing for the past two years. I even have a vision of moving my shoes to the bottom of my closet so I can use the top for sweaters. I have my sweaters in boxes under my bed an I'm too lazy to look for them or put them away. I think I'll get more use out of my snuggly sweaters this way.

Just as I'm feeling awesome about myself I heard a snap. Wouldn't you know it!!!?? My closet bar snapped in half and my clothes fell on top of me and a hanger scratched my chest. I'm not angry or frustrated. I just shouted a small little expletive. More out of shock than anger. I quickly called Jessie over and said cheerily, "Hey, look what I did to my closet!" What is a girl to do?!!! Looks like I should have given away more clothes than I originally did. I'm a clothes whore! I know it, you know, we all know it! No surprise there. What is God trying to tell me?

The evening ended two hours later and I was finally tired of cleaning. I peaked out the window and thought, "hey, when did it snow?" Two inches were on the ground at that point. So I decided to go to bed early because I had to wake up early to go get my haircut (for the first time in five months). I jumped out of bed and got ready to go. I opened up the door and the sunrays warmed my face and I breathed in the cool air. I was a happy girl...for a moment. I didn't even look down as I stepped out the door onto the ground. Next thing I knew I was on my butt with my feet in the air. Unfortunately for my thumbnail, it broke the fall between my cheeks and the cement step. I let out another expletive. I quickly jumped up and looked around to make sure no one saw me. How come things like that are funny when you're with someone else and just humiliating when you're alone? You can't laugh and joke about it that way!

The final mishap (and lets hope that that's it for the day) was walking to the hair salon. The sun was causing the snow to melt from rooftops and awnings. Just as I walked by an awning, snow flew from the roof, bounced off the awning and hit my head. Nice. A good start to a good day.

I do like my hair. Its back to its original dark color and has a few highlights here and there. It looks much healthier and I am much happier! The Charles Ifergan salon was really great and everyone was definitely trendy. Once again I felt like a schlepp compared to most of them. But they're professionals. We're supposed to aspire to be them. The place was buzzing and beautiful (albeit a little plastic) women were talking on their cellphones and speaking with their stylists like they'd known them for years. I was waiting for someone to bust out the bend and snap. It just had that feel.

Tonight I'm going to a fundraiser for work. I wasn't planning on going but my boss asked me to attend. Apparently these people really want our office to be represented. That's fine with me because I do like the hosts and I get in free. My friend, Fernando, is going with me. This way I'll know someone and won't be standing by the appetizers all night holding my phone and trying to look important.

4 comments:

CrazyJohn said...

Katy.
Hey this is John... come clean my apartment.
No, seriously. I'll pick you and the Oreck up in my car if that's what it takes.
Then you can ride the magic Oreck back to your apartment.

Anonymous said...

Cracking me up sis! I love the "expletive" uses. I would have given anything to be there to witness. I probably would have laughed so hard I'd have gone into labor!
I love you
Erin

Anonymous said...

Bend and snap, works every time!

Anonymous said...

Bend and snap, works every time!