Sunday, January 29, 2006

Live Band Karaoke!


Friday night was a first for me. In honor of Jason's 26th birthday, we went to Pontiac Cafe for their weekly Live Band Karaoke. It was probably one of the more fun nights I've had in Chicago. First of all, the group that went couldn't be more fun. We've all made fools of ourselves many many times infront of eachother so singing was just another opportunity.

As soon as we walked through the door, a menu of songs was thrown in our faces. After 30 minutes of perusing the song titles and debating between Cheap Tricks "Want You to Want Me" and Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time, " I went with the song whose video has been ingrained in my memory since childhood. Remember when Cyndi Lauper and the tall, dark and not so handsome/skinny guy said goodbye to eachother next to a train? Wait, let me wipe the tears from my eyes. That's better. Not only was it Cyndi's first #1 hit, it was my first #1 hit. Brilliant how our histories are now woven together. Wow.

The music was so loud that my ears are still ringing two days later. I walked up to a tall guy who thought he was hotter than he really was. But he made for interesting and witty banter. I gave him my name; which he wrote down as K8y. That's now my stage name. As I told him the song of my choice he looked at me for a moment and then put his hand over his heart while he sighed. He was feeling it too.

We enjoyed listening to some quality singers and some not so quality singers (most of whom were drunk and didn't care what they sounded like). I kept waiting for them to call Jason's name so I would know that I was next. Shocker of all shocks, they called my name first. I wasn't even paying attention but somehow, like in a dream, I heard someone repeating my name. With a gasp and in confusion, I threw my purse on the beer layered floor, tossed my camera to someone and jumped on stage. I think I said something like, "this is my first time and I think I'm going to be sick." But seriously, after one semester of musical theater in college and two and a half years of improv, I was set. The band was so loud that I was trying to scream into the microphone so I could be heard. I couldn't even hear myself. Mostly with my eyes glued to the white paper in my hands I sang my heart out. The sweet guitar player to my left notified me when I should start singing or leave a bit of time for the musical interludes. I owe him. He made me who I am today. There was one stranger in the front row who was so kind to just stare at me intensely and sing every word right along with me. I had no idea I had that kind of mesmerizing power. Now that I know about this power of mine, I need to use it for good, not evil...like seducing strange men to wash my car, fix my closet and cook me healthy meals.

If you look at the picture, you'll notice how red my face looks. It's our family trait: Blazing skin when embarassed or the center of attention. I think it finally tamed itself after a good hour.

WHAT A RUSH AND AWESOME FEELING! I highly recommend it to anyone. The hit performance of the night was Jason. He sang one of my favorites, A-Ha's "Take on Me." Seriously, who didn't cry the first time they saw that video?!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY JASON!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Buns, I loved this entry. I felt like i was THERE, especially when you described your embarassment rash. You'd think you woulda kicked that after years of improv. Oh well. Keep up with your "bit of singing on the side."